Quote

“True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is a matter of anxious concern for the well being of one’s companion”
-President Hinckley

Monday, February 21, 2011

Quick Update

Last week Lianne and Derek were in town for Derek's work, which was awesome because Nan and I got to spend a lot of time together. We didn't do anything terribly exciting, but it was fun having her here and being able to chat and catch up. We did do some baby shopping, errr looking more like, together and decided on things we want. It's funny how different our tastes are. Because Nan and I were both up here, my mom and dad came up this last weekend and stayed with Dan and I so they could spend some time with the 4 of us. That was a lot of fun. I love having my parents around. Derek's parents had the same idea and came up to Manhattan the same day, so Nan and Derek had quite the family reunion while they were here. All of us went and got Frozen Yogurt from that new yummy place on Friday and then all of us went to the rodeo on Saturday. I couldn't be more disappointed with myself for not taking any pictures while everyone was here. The rodeo was amazing and so much fun, except that I can't sit on those benches for very long without my back killing me. But, other than that it was great. It was the first time my parents have been able to go to a rodeo since we lived in Texas, so they were really excited. While my mom was here she finished my baby quilt for me. I am so in love with it! It's exactly what I wanted. I have been looking and looking for bedding for the crib and nothing has been what I had in mind, so I'm really excited that she decided to make this quilt for me. We're going to make a matching bed skirt as well. It's going to be adorable.


To all my mom friends out there:
What are some things you absolutely could not live without the first couple months after your baby is born? I know I won't be able to get everything before this little girl arrives, so I want to make sure I have all the things I'm desperately going to need. Anything?

I haven't been feeling all that great the last couple of days, which is a bummer because I was planning on doing a lot this week. I guess I will just have to keep resting until this headache/stomach thing wears off.

5 comments:

  1. I was prepared with stuff for the baby, but I forgot all about stuff for me when I was nursing! Make sure to have lanolin, nursing bras, etc. A dim lamp for late night feedings (a book light works well too!), and you may want a breast pump later on too! So excited for you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A swing was a lifesaver for me with Zach, but Jared hated it, so...I did love my nursing pillow, great for nursing, but also great for just setting the baby in it so they can look around but not roll out.
    I agree with the comment above, find some good nursing bras, and if you are like me, some shirts you like for the time when you are nursing and you regular shirts don't fit and you are tired of the maternity ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh hello dear. that's a great question! i was actually thinking about that today, because the things you don't think you need, you do, etc.

    here is what i absolutely need every day:

    -a bulb syringe & saline drops to suction out boogers. they should send you home with a couple of bulb syringes from the hospital. if they don't offer, ask. get saline drops from the pharmacy ahead of time. one little booger makes them sound so congested and awful, but a drop of saline in her nose and the syringe will pull it right out. i do this all the time with evie.

    -mylicon drops for gas. gassy baby = sad baby! the drops help & you can give them with each feeding if needed

    -a boppy! it is near impossible (in my opinion) to nurse without a boppy.

    -a thermometer (just a basic one will do, but buy a separate one just for her, because you will need to take her temp in her bum & shouldn't share)

    -a breast pump. i pumped with every feeding for the first 2 weeks. it helped me regulate my milk supply & i stocked my freezer FULL of breast milk while i was doing it. i only pump once per day now (for the feeding that g does each night) but i have a freezer full of milk that we can use any time we are going to be out or if i need to be gone during a feeding. it will last 4-6 months in your freezer, so stock up and you'll be glad! all of my friends who didn't do this see my freezer and are jealous, because it means that i can leave her anytime and have plenty of milk for someone else to feed her.

    - "the first years"-"breastflow" bottles. these bottles are great. they are designed like a boob so you can use it and not ruin the progress you are making teaching her to nurse. i waited until evie had breast feeding down (which was 2 weeks for her) and then started having greg do one feeding per day. both so they could bond & so she could learn to bottle feed as well. now she will do either bottle or breast with no problem and it's a dream to be able to leave if i need to. available at target

    -long sleeve white onsies (i like the ones from target), mittens and socks. that is all she will wear for the first little while. they get so messy learning to eat, you won't care to put her in very many nice things.

    -an infant seat. i highly recommend having a place to sit her during the day while she is awake. it is good for her to not be held 24/7, but you also don't want to make her lay in her crib alone while you get stuff done. i let evie sit in her chair and watch me clean & do things for a large majority of the day. it has made her content to just chill.

    -lanolin gel for nursing and nursing bras and pads.

    -wipes warmer. makes them enjoy their diaper change rather than cry because they are cold.

    -pads, pads, pads. you will be bleeding. you'll need lots of pads.

    -i thought this was a splurge, but a "swaddle me" wrap is kind of a necessity. it is hard to swaddle them well enough that they don't wiggle out, and it isn't safe to have a baby just be covered with a blanket, as i'm sure you know. i recommend any wrap that velcros shut. she will be warm and content & you'll have peace of mind.

    sorry this is a novel, but i wish someone would have laid it all out for me before evie was born. email me if you have any more questions! i'm so excited for you, you are going to do great!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. a note on the breast pump: they are really expensive, but can be rented as well. i rented the one i used for the first few weeks until i figured out how much i would be pumping & if i would need one from then on. you can look into renting one from the hospital or any lactation store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. last thing! don't forget to take home everything you use at the hospital. ask for a new pack of diapers, a new pack of pads (for you) etc, etc, the day you are leaving because once they give it to you it is yours. take home the onesies, the blankets, the hats, the white burp cloths (they are the best) etc. some people are unsure about this and leave it all, but it's yours. take it all home! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...